No let-up in dengue woes

The number of dengue patients in the capital has begun to show an upward trend in the past two days, following a fall during the Eid vacation.

According to the Director General of Health Services, 1,929 patients were infected in the last 24 hours across the country till 8:00am yesterday. Of them, 811 were in the capital and 1,118 outside Dhaka.

The number was 1,200 on August 13.

Director of Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital Uttam Kumar Barua said the number of admitted dengue patients has been on the rise immediately after the vacation period.

Around 383 dengue patients were undergoing treatment at the hospital on August 12, while it was 281 and 448 in August 13 and 14 respectively. Till yesterday, 432 patients were undergoing treatment there. 

Barua said the number of people taking dengue tests had not reduced even during Eid.

Some 6,207 people took dengue tests since August 1 to 14, whereas it was 2,873 in July and 997 in June.

A similar situation was found in other hospitals.

“We thought there would be fewer patients yesterday as it was a government holiday, but many people came,” said Assistant Director (administration) Nasir Uddin of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).

There were 710 dengue patients on August 12, while it was 601 and 640 respectively in August 13 and 14. Till yesterday, 601 patients were undergoing treatment in the hospital.

On average, 1,000 to 1,500 people come to the hospital to get tested for the dengue virus, but only 10 percent test positive for the mosquito-borne infection, said Nasir.

The huge rush of people going to hospitals to take the tests is also taking a toll on already stretched medical resources.

Eight-year-old Jannat had been waiting in a chair near the queue of a lab of DMCH for the last few hours to do a blood test for dengue.

third-grader Rabbi, another dengue patient, cries in pain in the same hospital. Photo: Amran Hossain

As around 1,500 people came to the hospital with fever to do NS1 dengue test, Jannat had to wait around three hours in serial after completing all necessary procedures.

“I brought Jannat to the hospital as she has been suffering from fever for the last two days and many neighbours suggested she be taken to hospital immediately,” said Rubina Begum, aunty of Jannat.

The child had to wait several hours to give her blood after around three hours’ journey from Keraniganj, she said.

Abdur Rahim, 70, and his wife Rabeya Khatun, 60, who came to the Shaheed Suhrawady Medical College Hospital from Uttara sector-14, also had to wait for hours to take the dengue test.

Both of them could stand in the long queue only for around 20 minutes due to their high fever and eventually they sat on the hospital’s floor near the lab and waited for their turn.

“We are very panicked about dengue virus as we have been running a high fever for the last three days,” said Rahim.

In the latest tally, the number of dengue patients is 48,280, of whom 7,570 are currently admitted to hospitals across the country.

Source :Daily Star

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *